- Ferry Replacement Project September 17, 2017
Can I carry gas cans on the Guemes Island Ferry?
Portable gas containers
Each vehicle or vehicle and trailer is allowed no more than two 6-gallon containers of gasoline, subject to the following:
- No single container shall exceed a maximum water capacity of 6 gallons;
- Gasoline containers must be UL or USCG approved;
- Portable containers must be tightly closed, not missing any parts, and stowed in a secure manner to the satisfaction of ferry personnel;
- Portable containers must not be transported in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle;
- Each owner or operator of a vehicle must advise ferry personnel of the presence in or on their vehicle of any portable containers of gasoline;
- Gasoline containers shall be made available for inspection by ferry personnel, and a visual inspection must be performed before any containers are allowed onboard;
- Any container showing deterioration which might affect its integrity will not be allowed onboard the vessel;
- Smoking is not allowed onboard the ferry at any time.
Portable gasoline containers may only be transported in the open bed of a pick-up truck or on an open trailer. Portable gas containers cannot be transported in the trunk of a vehicle and cannot be carried onboard by a walk-on passenger or in a wheelbarrow.
Source:Skagit County Public Works Ferry
Can I find someplace to eat on Guemes Island?
Yes, there is a general store on Guemes Island right next to the ferry landing. Guemes Island General Store / Digs~N~Gigs is a great place to stop in. They have fuel, gifts, food, beverages and events for all to enjoy.
"Escape the city, leave the hustle and bustle behind, take a short day trip or spend an unforgettable weekend on this lovely, peaceful and beautiful island."
Where is the best place to hike on Guemes Island?
There are a number of ares to hike on Guemes Island. The best place to get a view of the Guemes island, Mount Baker, Anacortes, Canada and the San Juan Islands is Guemes Mountain Trail. Your hike will take you through a Douglas-fir and western red-cedar forest. There are many other plants, wild flowers and wild life you will see along the way.
Take your time and take in the sounds and look at the views. The trail meanders it way to the top with many easily climbed switchbacks. About midway up there is a great viewing and rest area with a bench. Stop and sit for a bit and watch the birds flying such as Bald Eagles, Peregrine Falcons and Pileated Woodpeckers. As you get close to the top the trail gets a bit steeper for a short distance then opens up to a large grassy area. If you packed a lunch the view from the top is fantastic and a great place to have lunch.
How do I add Guemes Island Mobile to my iPhone or iPad home screen?
1. Select the page up icon.
2. Select the Add to Home Screen icon.
Done 🙂 ( You can move icon around the same as any other icon)